Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Works in Progress - Check In

What a crazy week... heck MAY! That last month of school means a ton of things going on. I feel like I've been spining in a circle.

I did manage to get my RobertK Challenge quilt sandwiched and pinned. I purchased a free motion foot to quilt it but got the WRONG one! ugh. However this Friday I plan on finishing it up. Here is the final look. I ended up adding more black and white around the outside to give it more size. It just felt way to small.


My daughter has been wanting to learn to sew for so long. She really expressed a wish for a sewing machine and fabrics for her birthday, so i finally decided to help her learn (any links, tips, ideas would be great for teaching. I have no clue what I'm doing). She is making a mug rug for her teacher...
Moda Glace by 3 sisters charms
Its not perfect, but shes happy and im sure her teacher will be also!

I have also started making mug rugs for others. After giving Zoey's teacher a mug rug for Teacher Appreciation Week, many others have admired it. So Im going to gift them with some too. These better be finnished by Monday!
Black and White Fabrics are Robert Kaufman, Blue is Central Park... the rest i have no clue.

This one is for a set of ladies who make me smile all the time. They are really 2 peas in a pod... so I'm making semi-coordinating mug rugs for them... the tops:

Completed and awaiting quilting:
Robert Challenge Quilt
2 mug rugs

Trying to do:
Birdie Block of the Month

This week's stats:
New projects - 0
Completed projects - 0
Currently in progress - 5



I really would like to get thinking about a new quilt... does anyone know of a quilt-a-long that JUST started or is starting soon??

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

11 comments:

Judee May 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

Love your RobertK piece and teaching your daughter is awesome. There is a Kona Solids Quilt A Long over at Patchworksquared.com. We are finishing up but Ryan has reposted all the awesome blocks.

Melissa May 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

Sew Mama Sew has some sewing-with-kids tutorials (http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2009/08/easy-hand-sewing-for-kids-early-years/), as does Whipstitch. (http://whipstitchfabrics.com/blog/sewing-with-kids/).

I'm sure there are more out there, and I know there are some books, too. You should check the library, but I think the blogs and the web are so much more helpful! :)

She did a great job with her first mug rug, and you're doing a great job teaching her! :)

Melinda May 18, 2011 at 12:01 PM  

You're a busy bee. Love the mug rugs. I have a daughter who wants to learn to sew as well. I want a new sewing machine so I'm trying to finagle her getting mine and me getting a new one!

Greenstylemom May 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

I take that back! My IKEA fabric looks a lot like that but has green in it. That one is a Robert Kaufman that I also have in my stash!

marlene@ByTheSeam May 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

I think you do know what your doing teaching your daughter how to sew. Looks like she is really enjoying the lessons and your work is lovely so you have no worries there.

Diana and LaDonna May 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

Love this quilt! Tell your daughter good job!

LaDonna

Katie B May 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

I love your challenge quilt! Very cool. And your daughter is doing a great job.

audreypawdrey May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

Your challenge quilt is looking great! I am impressed you are teaching your daughter how to sew, and her mug rug looks awesome. I know her teacher will love it.

Moia May 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM  

Looks like your daughter is having a great time, hopfully she will continue sewing and to enjoy beeing creativ. I am sure her teacher will love the mugrug. Hugs from Moia

Lee May 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM  

Oooh, your RK challenge quilt is fab! I have to get started on one of my own one of these days, so it's good inspiration for me. : ) Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

Vivian June 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM  

Hi there! I just discovered your blog and was excited to see that you also have a daughter wanting to sew. My now 10 y.o. DD enjoys working with scraps and with charm squares. Last Christmas she made scrappy mug rugs for everyone, she finds it fun just sewing pieces together and then doing an embroidery stitch across the top. She did a lot of piecing (with mommy's help) of charm squares as well.

I hope your daughter keeps up with it, it's so much fun having mine at the other end of the table sewing away while I'm working on my stuff. Take care!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP