Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Solid Challenge - Progress so far

When I joined the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild, there was a challenge just starting. We were given a charm pack of Robert Kaufman' solids and were to make a quilt using only one additional fabric for the top (another for the back and binding if we wish).


 I was so at a loss what to do, all those rainbow colors ... I wanted rainbow fabric. But first I needed a idea of what to do. For my birthday I received this book:

Click on image for link to Author!
See that sewing machine cover? I was so interested in that look that I decided to use it as the basis of my design. But then part of the challenge was that the quilt must be 40x40 inches. I needed much more fabric use than just my little squares. I pulled out some graph paper and began to figure out a fun pattern (oh and the odd number of squares i was ending up with...)


 Ahhh, now that looks better. Some filling (all the same fabric) and some odd squares. I cut the 5" charms into 4- 2 1/2" inch squares. Thus one of the sets of 4 will be used in an random place on the big strips.  Now I have my plan, time to get started!

(FYI - My daughters have realized HOW important MATH is especially FRACTIONS and DECIMALS for mom!!!)

Now ... I spent quite some time on the piecing.... such tedious steps... la .. da... good thing I have good music to listen to while quilting...


And... after another afternoon of over 120 pieces on my bed, I finally figured out what order i wanted the colors in.... im almost done with this step!

So super excited.... the only last dilemma i had was what to use on the backing.... but that's a surprise for later!


 ----Now after i had cut all that black Robert Kaufman fabric into strips.... someone talked to me about how to line up fabric. Im almost glad though that the black and white squares are not perfectly straight, it seems to add fun directions to the overall layout. ----


Comments? ideas? Thoughts?


Please share!!!

8 comments:

kwiltmakr May 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM  

Wow that is a super quilt. It is cool that you could make that sewing machine cover idea into a quilt for yourself. Nice going.

Melissa May 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM  

Angela!!!

That looks INCREDIBLE!!!

Wow. I can't wait to see the finished quilt! You're doing SO well! :)

Hollie May 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

That's looking awesome!

Mary May 11, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

I like the black and white square being not so straight, too!

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

mainer May 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

Great project. Love the white on black with the solids.

~Carla~ May 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM  

Love it!! I'd use a KONA solid on the back too... Whatever your favorite is from the little blocks on the front! Can't wait to see it finished! :)

claudia becker May 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

I love this drawing made, inspired me to have gained little squares, tissue samples were denim, and did not know exactly how to use. Some photos are already on flickr, now I'm thinking at the edge. Soon I will post the progress. My English is bad, use the google translator, sorry ... Thank you for inspiring me! I came to your blog in "sew in friday night".
Also I have a blog:
http://frawfrawcrawcraw.blogspot.com
and an album on flickr where I have pictures of this job:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraw_craw/

I like your blog, I am now a follower

Karenkay May 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

Thats a great cover! I love the way that looks!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP