Monday, November 17, 2008

Refrigerator Box

This is part of a Story experience, going back to my roots and remembering my stories:

It was summer, hot and boring in the then very small town of Moab, Utah. My mother worked full time, and we were left to our own devices. I was about 8 years old and my sister 6 or 7. One of those summer days my sister and I were playing in a large field near our house. When we got to the far end of the field we found the most wonderful things ever made, a refrigerator box!! While my mother was still at work, we managed to drag the huge thing over the field, across a street, into the house, around the hallway to our bedroom.

Now our bedroom, it was a disaster! We never cleaned it, it would have been my husbands worst nightmare for our kids to have a room like I did. The addition of that box only made it worse! Or maybe better? We had decided to make that box into a fort. But to do that, first we needed to clean up a spot on the floor for it to sit. Once we had done that, we decided we needed to equip our fort with toys and comfortable blankets.

My mom came home that night to find us still in that box. I don’t remember how long, but I know that box lasted for several days and became many things, sky rises, houses, school and even church.

Thinking back, I remember so many days where one little thing entertained us for hours. I know times are different now for my kids, I can only hope that they get a little of my imagination and know how something simple can be awesome!

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP